I don't think there will be anything interesting happening in the Nikon world by the end of the year - several new products will be announced for the CES and CP+ shows in early 2016 (January and February). Until then, expect more guest posts and deals/price drops - Nikon has no new products and the only way to generate extra revenue this quarter is by offering better deals.
Nothing has basically changed since my last "what to expect" post from September, so I will just republish it here one more time:
- Nikon D5 (expected in early 2016)
- There is some talk that a new Nikon D400 (or whatever the name will be) camera could be announced together with the D5 (just like the D3 and D300 back in 2007). It's still too early to celebrate, let's wait and see how this one will develop in the next few weeks.
- Nikon 1 V4
- New Nikon 1 lenses - all but one of the 1 Nikkor prototype lenses shown back in 2011 were already announced. Several new Nikon 1 lens patents were filed recently
- New Coolpix cameras with a large/larger sensor (more than one model possible)
- More Nikkor telephoto lenses to be updated with fluorite (FL) element. This is more of a long term goal and it will take few years until they replace all mentioned lenses.
- Full frame Nikon mirrorless camera - there is already a patent for a 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 VR full frame mirrorless lens
- New “secret” product - most likely will connect to a smartphone. This could also be a new Nikon action/extreme camera (like the GoPro) or a 360 degrees camera (like the Ricoh Theta)
If you have any additional information on the upcoming Nikon announcements, you can contact me anonymously here.