Several Japanese news outlets published an article based on an interview with Nikon executives. Here are the key points from a Google translation (if you have a better translation, please post it in the comments section):
- The Nikon camera business is undergoing a major restructuring.
- This is a quote: "bringing in multiple mirrorless cameras at an early stage" - to me this means announcing multiple mirrorless cameras soon.
- Nikon is taking an aggressive approach to rebuild their camera business.
- Nikon has no plans for closing domestic or overseas manufacturing plants at the present time.
- In the future Nikon will concentrate their resources on medium to high-end DSLR cameras and lenses as well as mirrorless cameras.
- Nikon will have fewer models in the future.
- Nikon still wants to develop a high-end compact camera.