I was able to collect some specs from several sources for the upcoming Nikon D4 camera. The [NR] rating on those specs is 90% which means this is the real deal with maybe some small details being wrong possibly due to wrong translation.
Nikon D4 specs:
- 16.2 MP
- 11 fps
- Correction: 100-12,800
102,400native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800
- CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.
- Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter
- Integrated Ethernet in the camera
- Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)
- Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800
- Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port
- Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording
- Improved 51 AF points
- AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)
- Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8
The Nikon D4 is clearly made to compete with the Canon EOS 1Dx. I will stay conservative on the announcement date, but there is a very good chance that the Nikon D4 will be announced right before or during the PMA show in Las Vegas (January 10-13, 2012).
With the next round of pro DSLR cameras I think Nikon will make a clear separation of the D800 and D4. This is why they will probably announce both cameras around the same time in 2012. The D4 will have low MP count, high fps, high ISO. The D800 will have high MP count, low fps, lower ISO. This is a clear differentiation from the previous D3/D700 offering that shared the same sensor/technology.