This is an updated post on what to expect from Nikon in the next few months:
Nikon 1 V3
A new Nikon 1 V3 camera will be announced this week. On several occasions in the past Nikon confirmed that they are still committed to their mirrorless line, even after disappointing sales from Europe and the US. Here are the rumored Nikon 1 V3 specifications:
- New specs: 20 fps, 171 contrast AF points
- No optical viewfinder
- Optional, external 2.4MP electronic viewfinder (EVF) that will attach to the hot shoe
- Built-in flash
- Standard hot shoe - you will be able to use regular Nikon Speedlights and the built-in flash could act as a wireless commander(I reported that back in November last year)
- Several new interesting video features
- New external grip will not take any batteries, but it will have a shutter button and front dial
- Expeed 4a imaging processor
- Completely new camera design similar to the drawings of this recently filed patent and it will be all black (not sure if they will offer different colors)
- Very fast everything
- 18MP sensor
- Eye sensor and a button to switch between LCD and EVF
- 180° swivel LCD screen
Two new Nikkor 1 lenses and other accessories are also expected to be announced this week.
I have no updates on the rumored Nikon lenses:
- A new Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4G VR lens has been rumored for a long time now. I have no updates on the release date.
- Two new Nikon 1 lenses as mentioned above.
- There is a very good chance that Nikon will respond to the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM lens with new Nikkor f/1.8 DX zoom lens. The announcement could happen with the D7200 announcement.
- There is a possibility for a new 16mm fisheye lens. Some of the tips I received point that a new fisheye zoom is currently in testing and could be announced by the end of the year (something similar to the Canon 8-15mm lens). The Nikon version is supposed to be circular fisheye at the wide end, rectangular at the long side and could be wider than 8mm.
No Nikon D400 for now. The D7200 could also once and for all kill the DX PRO line (D300s) depending on the included specs and features (if we get a big enough buffer and few extra direct manual controls, we can assume that the D400 will never come out).
Nikon D800 update instead of D4x
Nikon may not release a D4x camera but instead they are rumored to refresh the Nikon D800 the same way they updated the D4s (same sensor, improved ISO, slightly faster, higher price tag).
I have no updates on the D2300 camera, here are the rumored specs:
- World's smallest DSLR camera (small like the Canon Rebel SL1)
- There is a possibility that the D2300 will be the first DSLR-like camera without an optical viewfinder
- D2300 is a preliminary name and it can change
- Weight: 290g
- Announcement in May 2014
- The Nikon D2300 could be the 3rd DSLR camera that will be announced this year (in addition to the D4s and D7200)
Nikon Coolpix P8000
- Maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 sec.
- The P8000 will use a new 1" Aptina sensor
- At least Expeed 3 imaging processor (Expeed 4 is also a possibility)
- Magnesium body
- Comfortable grip similar to the Nikon P5100 and P6000 models
- Announcement in April-May 2014
- 24- 120mm equivalent f/2.0 - 3.0 lens with 3 ED and 1 ASP glass elements (could be even faster: f/1.8 - 3.0)
- 1" inch sensor (first Coolpix with 1" sensor)
- 3.0" LCD screen
- P A S M mode
If you have any other information on the products listed above, or any other tips, please contact me (no email needed to submit an anonymous tip).