After Nikon's firmware was successfully decrypted, we now have the first unofficial "StarWars" firmware update for the Nikon D5100. The new beta firmware includes only changes of the camera's menu labels:
- Holocron - Playback menu
- Weapon System - Shooting menu
- Super Stardestroyer - Custom Setting menu
- Hyperdrive - Setup Menu
- Go to Dagobah Luke - Format Memory Card
- Death Star Codes - Firmware Version
- A Jedi? - Update? (new update screen)
- (help: StarWars v1.01)
- The Cantina - Retouch Menu
- My Menu - unchanged
- Dark side of force! - Subject is too dark
- Light side of force! - Subject is too light
Please note that this is not an official Nikon firmware release - try at your own risk. According to the author, the original D5100 v1.01 firmware can be restored at any time.
You can get the full details on flickr and reddit. There is also a new forum at nikonhacker.com that is looking for beta testers, assembly programmers, graphic designers and other volunteers for future firmware updates.