Update on the latest patents applications from Nikon - this is a long post, make sure you "read more".
First, the patent applications from Japan (no direct links possible) - the first set of patents appears to be for the upcoming EVIL system:
- Patent application 2010-054660 - "To provide a camera for reliably closing a mount opening upon detaching an accessory for the camera":
- Patent application 2010-044228 is for a 10-29mm zoom lens for the 17mm format sensor:
f = 10.25 to 17.30-29.30
FNO = 3.35 to 4.27-5.86
2omega = 82.8 degree - 52.8 degree - 32.4"
Overall-length 67.70495 62.46001 67.54250
- Patent application 2008-214916 - "To provide a lens barrel capable of preventing the operating noise of a diaphragm blade from leaking outside, and to provide a camera". This patent is about sound reduction (aimed at video). If you compare the optics outline to the design in 2010-044228 patent application, it looks like a match (including the location of the aperture). If this assumption is correct, the dimension to the lens barrel will be about 49mm diameter and 39mm for the flange - this lens will be tiny! Flange to sensor is 18mm. Attached is an image of the two images together - scale is ~8 pixels/mm :
The next few patents define the new EVIL mount designs - they are very technical, nothing really to report, but it shows Nikon's commitment to this mirrorless solution:
- Patent application 2010-049174: "To provide a camera system in which a mount part of a lens is simplified".
- Patent application 2010-060976: "To easily attach an accessory to a camera".
- Patent application 2010-066576: "To provide a camera system constituted so that a lens barrel can be pressed by an appropriate force, according to types of lens barrels".
- Patent application 2010-066580: "To provide: a camera system that can bias a lens barrel by appropriate force in accordance with the type of the lens barrel; a camera; and a lens barrel".
- Patent applications 2010-039402, 2010-039403, 2008-205030 are all aimed at reducing lens barrel size.
The next three patents are for the rumored Coolpix S1000pj successor (p&s camera with a built-in projector). It seems that the new camera will have support for an external power supply and a special heat sink (Patent application 2010-066426) which makes sense since the rumors indicated that the new camera could be used as a conventional stand alone projector. Here is a drawing of the new camera:
- Patent application 2010-066625: "To provide a projection unit which excellently projects an image".
- Patent application 2010-066426: "To provide electronic equipment capable of reliably radiating heat of a heat generation source".
- Patent application 2010-066425: "To provide a projector that easily performs image projection in a stable state using electric power from an external power supply, when an image is to be projected".
And few from the US patent office:
- Patent Application 20100164440 is for a new charging device that will allow you to charge your camera from the USB port of your computer. This is probably intended for point and shoot cameras (the drawing also shows a p&s camera).
- Patent Application 20100164992 is for an image display device with various photos display options (digital photo frame).