Mr. Tetsuro Goto is the Director of Laboratory Research and Development at Nikon Japan. Focus-Numerique just published a lengthy and very interesting interview with him (in French | Google translation).
Key points & quotes:
- No medium format from Nikon: "We have no experience in the niche market of medium-format. It may simply be impossible for Nikon to go on the market."
- On Micro 4/3 & Nikon: "If we follow this type of equipment, we change our frame (mount). The new frame will provide new opportunities or provide access to new technologies and to use targets smaller and lighter".
- Large sensor compact camera: "We study this way. You'll know soon enough."
- On EVF: "In the near future, it is possible that we will also use electronic viewfinders, but for now the quality is not there yet."
- On SWM (Silent Wave Motor): "We are currently investigating a new system for the future."
- On the future of Nikonos: "personally I think the Nikonos reborn in the future."
Sorry about the bad translation, but you get the idea.
Hit the comments section for some better translations of the interview.