A few months ago I was shooting and I needed an on-camera flash. So I took out my SB-800, put in new Duracell batteries and proceeded to take a photo. Pop! from inside the flash. Everything seemed to be working fine, but I took out the batteries to see what was going on. Upon inspection, one battery had blown a big crack around the end and sprayed white goo all over the inside of my flash. I pulled the batteries, cleaned out the flash as best I could (trying to neutralize the acid) and set it aside to dry completely. Last Sunday I took out the flash again, (I used more new Duracell batteries from Costco), I took several photos, (not too quickly) and then noticed a popping and sizzling sound. Sure enough when I pulled the batteries, several had ruptured and were leaking.
I am going to try a different brand of battery but I was wondering, has anybody else has experienced this problem? I have heard of the SB-900 and the SB-800 overheating, but never batteries rupturing. As an aside, was it really the SB-900 getting too hot, or was it the batteries overheating and heating up the SB-900 from the inside?