I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, because I'm not really sure how I should upgrade and move on from my current D300 (non S version).
I bought the camera approximately 5 years ago, and it has served me very well, but I'm beginning to feel that the technology is getting a little old and I want to upgrade to something new. Now, the problem I have is I literally don't know if there's a viable upgrade option for me if I stick with Nikon
On top of the functionality that I already currently have with my D300, which i want to maintain or improve on, I'm looking for a camera that has better low light abilities, and very good video functionality. I had a GH1 previously and I used the video mode frequently, and loved it.
My options appear to be this:
1. D300S - pretty old, doesn't improve on much other than the video option, which is relatively poorly implemented compared to newer cameras these days.
2. D7000 - potentially an option, but not really an upgrade more of a sideways move. In some areas it's better than the D300, in other areas it isn't
3. D700 - Fantastic for stills ability, but no video support (one of my requirements)
4. D800 - Utterly fantastic all round, but it costs £1700 *more* than a D300S. Then i'd need new lenses too. Given the price is multiples more, it doesn't feel like an upgrade that I can afford. It feels like a very different, very expensive camera that's not a natural upgrade unless you've got lots of spare cash or you take photographs for a living, which I don't unfortunately.
So what does that leave? well, other manufacturers. I feel like there are only limited upgrade options without spending a fortune, and as i'm only at the prosumer level i'm not ready to do that right now.
Based on the above, I feel that these would be my best options right now:
1. D7000 as a temporary measure and hope that a D400 finally sees the light of day. Excellent for stills, ropey on video.
2. Nex7 - very decent alternative. I like the smaller size, and the excellent quality of stills/video. Lenses would be a pain, but I'd be happy to stick to one decent prime like the Zeiss 24mm for 90% of the time.
3. X-Pro1 - Excellent alternative where images are concerned, but has it's operational foibles. Video mode very poorly implemented.
4. 7D - least favourite option, but then if I describe most of the things I want, it seems to match pretty well.
What I really want to ask is - has anyone been in the same situation? What, if anything, did you do / are you planning to do to upgrade from your current D300 (and/or D300s)?