I tried a spray adhesive with my D200, but ended up having to redo it months later - so I used an intant glue and it worked great. I was gluing the whole grip back on, and I didn't really care if it damaged the grip as long as it worked better than the duct tape that was holding it on after the spray adhesive failed. A year later and it's holding great.
Then again, my D200 has quite a bit of cosmetic wear (paint worn to bare metal around the edges, trimmed rear command dial after it expanded and it wouldn't turn...), so I wasn't really worried about additional cosmetic damage as long as it worked - good news is that it worked, and didn't damage anything. With a D700 in good condition I may have been a bit more choosy about the glue I used though.