A photographer I know is selling one of his Nikon D3s bodies for $3,700 USD. He purchased them new, shortly after their release. Forgot how many actuations--he mentioned 40,000, but he has a D3 and two D3s bodies, and I forgot which body he was talking about.
Anyways, not sure what to do . . .
You see, first, I have to blow $1,199 on a new D7000 so I can finally start making movies. That's why I originally bought my D90 (only to find that the D90 is virtually useless as a D-cinema camera without manual ISO and shutter speed control). Finally, Nikon decides to release the much-anticipated D90 "firmware upgrade," only it's a hardware upgrade, with the part number, "D7000." Why don't I just get the D3s and shoot video on that? The main reason . . . the D7000's superior AVCHD CODEC.
Anywho, since the D90 was useless for moviemaking, after sitting idle on my shelf for over a year, I recently started taking pictures with it instead. And of course, now, I love shooting stills again. I plan to shoot a new portfolio, which I'd like to shoot all-FX. I'm also soon going to have the opportunity to shoot some models for a commercial account, so it'd be real nice if I had an FX body for that, too.
But . . . everything tells me I should wait.
I'm not a professional still photographer (I shoot TV for a living), so I don't really "need" the D3s now. If I could just find a used D700 at a good price, I would probably just go with that for now. Or, the D7000 may be so improved (noise, low-light, etc.), I may be able to deal with that for a while. If I shell out $3,700 for a D3s now, and the "D4" comes out next spring (which will be here in no time), I won't be too happy. Plus, in addition to low-light photography, pixel count is also becoming an issue, since the portfolio prints will be quite large (I really need a D3x and a D3s!). Maybe I need to wait. But, Nikon seems to be on a four-year life cycle for their flagship bodies, so there may not be a "D4" announced until Photokina 2011 . . .