Couple days ago, i posted a thread for recommendation on my purchase of D90 + 17-55. You guys were so nice and asked me to try the Tarmon 17-50 (with or without VC), and Nikkor 16-85. However, this morning i was having a chat with one of my wife's friend, who is also a Nikon user, trying to get some recommendation from him as well. And his recommendation is completely a new picture for me.
Here is my initial thought on the lens upgrade path
D90 + 17-55, 35 f1.8 and later get the 70-200 and TC.
D90 + 17-35, 50 f1.8 and later get the 70-200 and TC.
His explanation is as follow:
1. if i am willing to spend the money on 17-55, why not getting 17-35 which is $300 more. And the missing 20mm, can be recovered by the 50 f1.8. and probably a few steps
2. I can keep this lens even going to FX (Not sure how worse is my NAS)
3. It will be more fun with the 17-35 and 50 f1.8 since both are D lens
My Shooting Style:
1. 40% Indoor event (flash may not be allowed in some cases)
2. 20% Pets and Kids
3. 20% Family Portrait
4. 10% Street and Night Photography
5. 10% Wildlife
1. Which path you will pick without the money factor?
2. If i picked his recommendation, will i miss something from what i initially planning to get??
3. I haven't done any research on 17-35. How is it compare with the 17-55 in these aspects: Optics, build quality and IQ?