Like it or not Canon is and has been the Leader for the last many years. Nikon has been close but newer really been able to trow Canon of the throne.
Now what should Nikon do to finally some day become the king of Camera Manufacturer, or maybe you feel that that will newer happen. I think it could be done if Nikon would think a bit different.
Here is some things that I feel should be done:
- Make Nikon the best in Customer Service: In regards to repairs, upgrades, recalls, help with using products etc
- Create a NEW advertising campaign, that is smart, that will create a very strong Nikon Brand recognition, we don't need idiots crawling on model runways
- Nikon need the understand the need for markets that are not really met by anyone: Make smart cameras for Children, why not even a DSLR looking P&S camera for the 4-8 year old, Remember these are future Customers of real DSLR's. Make a Senior friendly P&S camera, believe me Seniors are holding on to their dear old P&S film cameras, because they are simply afraid of the complexity of ALL current P&S cameras. And Seniors represent the largest growing market BTW
- If you Nikon does not understand how to make HD video work properly on future DSLR, please partner with someone that does, Canon will run over you if you get left behind in this area. So all DSLR have to have articulating display, AF in video/liveview has to be improved, also make one EVIL style camera like Samsung has just made.
- Like Thom Hogan mentioned and this was discussed on another NR post, I think Nikon should have a more open Software design, sort of like Apple is doing with their Iphone/ITouch, because I can not ever see Canon doing it
- Get going on that digital Range Finder camera, digital Nikon SF. But market it with more primes, not only ONE like the Oly Pen
Anyway that is all from white but plus 8 Celsius Alberta Canada