Nikon released a new version of ViewNX. Modifications enabled with 2.8.0 for both the Windows and Macintosh versions are:
- Support for the COOLPIX L620 has been added.
- GeoTag in the toolbar has been changed to Map. In addition, GPS data and GPS information have been renamed Location data.
- The following support has been added for Motion Snapshots:
- Slideshow function
- When Short Movie Creator or Movie Editor is selected from the Open With... option in the File menu, users can now choose Movies (MOV) and JPEG images or Movies (MOV).
- However, to choose one of the above, Short Movie Creator or Movie Editor must be registered in Open With > Register... > Open with Application beforehand.
- An Add/Edit Directional option has been added to the Map toolbar.
- A Merge Altitude Log with Track Log... option has been added to the Log Matching item.
A location log saved with a camera, mobile phone, or other commercially available satellite navigation system receiver capable of acquiring location data can now be merged with an altitude (barometer) and depth log* saved using a Nikon digital camera.
- Altitude (barometer) and depth logs are recorded by Nikon digital cameras equipped with barometers or depth gauges.
Additional modifications to the Windows version
- Installation of QuickTime is no longer required.
- Frame rate options of 50 fps and 60 fps are now available for movies created using the Create Movie... item in the Nikon Movie Editor File menu and output at a size of 1280 x 720 (16:9) and 1920 x 1080 (16:9). However, the following two requirements apply when 50 fps or 60 fps is selected for Frame rate:
- Only movies have been added to the storyboard (no still images)
- An option other than MOV (MotionJPEG/Linear PCM) is selected for File type
Additional modifications to the Macintosh version
- Image display with the slideshow function is now compatible with Retina Display.