TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that entries to its international Nikon Photo Contest for 2012-2013. The entry period is December 1, 2012, through February 28, 2013.
The "Nikon Photo Contest" (NPC) is the new name for what was formerly the "Nikon Photo Contest International" (NPCI), a contest held by Nikon since 1969 with the goal of "contributing to the development of photographic culture by providing a venue for communica-tion among photographers from around the world, be they professionals or amateurs".
For this year's contest, our 34th, we have completely overhauled the contest by, among other things, establishing a movie category. We are looking for entries in four categories: single photo (Category A), composite photo (Category B, featuring composites composed of series of two to five photographs), photographic videos (Category C, featuring videos of 45 seconds in length), and Motion Snapshot (Category D). In category D we are requesting works in the new "Motion Snapshot" image format that combines still images and movies and is available with Nikon 1, Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens.
The judges include well-known photographers active on the global scene who will select a total of 54 works for first, second, and third prizes in each category, together with a Grand Prize for the very best entry. A new addition is the "Participants Award for Most Popular Entry", which will be chosen by the contest entrants. The winning entries are to be announced in the summer of 2013 and are to be included in a public exhibition (the location, date, and other details of which are yet to be announced).
Guidelines for the Nikon Photo Contest, 2012-2013
- Eligibility The contest is open to all, professional and amateur, regardless of age, sex or nationality.
- Theme and Categories
- Theme:No theme is specified for any of the four categories.CategoriesA:Single photo
- Composite photo (each consisting of a series of from two to five photographs)
- Photographic video (45 seconds long)
- Motion Snapshot (shot with the Motion Snapshot feature on Nikon 1)
- Entry Period Saturday, December 1, 2012, to 1:00 p.m. Japan Standard Time on Thursday, February 28, 2013.
- How to Enter Entries must be submitted via the Internet. Visit the Nikon Photo Contest 2012–2013 website (http://www.nikon-photocontest.com), complete the entry form, and submit it together with your works.
- Each entrant is limited to a total of ten works in categories A and B; for example, two entries of one photograph each in the single photo category and one entry of four photographs in the composite category would total six works.
- The same works or portions of the same works can not be submitted in both category A and category B.
- Each entrant can submit one work in each of categories C and D. These works can be in addition to works submitted in categories A and B.
- Entry is restricted to original works that have not previously been published and to which the entrant holds the rights. Works that have been submitted to other previous or ongoing contests will not be accepted. The category of works submitted to other contests includes those that are submitted to another contest after being entered in the Nikon Photo Contest.
- Eligible Works
- Categories A and B
- Image data files created with digital cameras (including medium- and large-format cameras). Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted. (Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible.)
- File size: Up to 20 MB.
- File format: JPEG/150 dpi recommended.
- The standard color space for the judging process is sRGB.
- Entrants may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes related to the contest.
- Category C
- Movie files containing videos created from footage shot using the movie recording feature of digital still cameras (including medium- and large-format cameras)
- Length:45 seconds.
- Each movie entered must have a file size of 200 MB or less and be in MOV format.
- Any music used must either be copyright-free and performed and recorded by the entrant or a person designated by the entrant (commercial recordings of copyright-free music may not be used) or be works for which the entrant holds the rights and for which the rights have not been transferred to a copyright collective.
- Category D
- Motion Snapshot files created with the Motion Snapshot feature on Nikon 1 cameras.
- Entries must be in MOV format.
- Judging/Announcement of Results Entries will be published to this website after the first round of judging following the completion of the entry period (current plans call for the entries to be published at the end of April, 2013). The final winners will be determined after the second (April) and final (June) rounds of judging. The final results are to be announced on this website in the summer of 2013. All entrants will be eligible to vote for the "Participants Award for Most Popular Entry". The details will be announced on official website.
- Awards and Prizes The most outstanding entry in categories A, B, and C will receive the Grand Prize. A total of 49 prizes will be awarded in categories A, B, and C, including the Grand Prize and 48 prizes for entries placing first, second, or third in each category, while prizes will also be awarded to the top three entries in category D. All winners will receive in the foregoing categories will receive trophies and prizes of Nikon products with values determined by the type of prize. In addition, a "NIKKOR Award", trophy, and prize money will be awarded for the best work shot with a NIKKOR lens, and the winner of the "Participants Award for Most Popular Entry" will be awarded prize money and a trophy. An exhibition of the prize-winning works is to be held, and the winners of the Grand Prize and the first-place finishers in each category will be given the right to post other works to a photo gallery on the Nikon Photo Contest 2012–2013 website.
|Category||1st place||2nd place||3rd place|
|Grand Prize||Number awarded: 1. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥1,000,000. Participation in the photo gallery.|
|Category A: Single photo||Number awarded: 1. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥500,000. Participation in the photo gallery.||Number awarded: 5. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥200,000.||Number awarded: 10. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥100,000.|
|Category B: Com-posite photo||Number awarded: 1. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥500,000. Participation in the photo gallery.||Number awarded: 5. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥200,000.||Number awarded: 10. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥100,000.|
|Category C: Photo-graphic video||Number awarded: 1. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥500,000. Participation in the photo gallery.||Number awarded: 5. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥200,000.||Number awarded: 10. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥100,000.|
|Category D: Motion Snapshot||Number awarded: 3. Nikon products with a combined retail value of ¥200,000.|
|NIKKOR Award||Number awarded: 1. Prize of ¥100,000.|
|Participants Award for Most Popular Entry||Number awarded: 1. Prize of ¥500,000.|