Nikon will have new product announcements in the next few weeks. February is the time for the Coolpix line to be refreshed with the possibility of other new products to be revealed. Nikon has been consistent in the past with the February release schedule:
- In February of 2009 Nikon announced the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens plus Coolpix cameras.
- At the end of January 2008, Nikon announced the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6, PC-E 24mm f/3.5, 60mm f/2.8 Micro lenses, Nikon D60 and Coolpix cameras.
- February 2007: Coolpix cameras
- February 2006: Coolpix cameras
- February 2006: Nikon D2Hs
One product that will be announced is already known: a new Nikon Coolpix camera with a 24-100mm zoom and fast f/1.8 aperture.
The CP+ Camera and Photo Imaging Show in Japan (February 9-12, 2011) will be a good place to display new products and there is a good chance that Nikon will hold a press conference right before (not confirmed). Another big show is Focus on Imaging 2011 in the UK (March 6th-9th, 2011) and as you can see on their website, the yellow color dominates the screen. In the US the next big events are Imaging USA (January 16-18) and WPPI (February 21-23, 2011) but I do not remember ever seeing new Nikon announcements at those shows (BTW, Nikon is an exhibitor at WPPI and a sponsor of Imaging USA).
Stay tuned as I start receiving more reliable information in the next few weeks.