Nikon D5000 is already discontinued and a replacement is expected. The D3000 was released in July of 2009 (three months after the D5000) and it was already replaced in August of 2010. All that means that the Nikon D5000 should be updated any time now. The rumor is that the D5000 will be replaced by the D5500. Here are the D5500 basic specs:
- Same metering and AF modules as the D3100
- No AF motor.
- 1080 HD video with manual controls
- 16MP sensor
- Large detachable screen, that can be kept attached like a fixed screen or detached and connected to the camera via a cable, or mounted on the hot shoe.
- Some interesting alternative accessories for the detachable screen may be offered, namely an EVF for video shooting. Remember the Nikon Media Port? It was already demoed with the Nikon D90. Nikon has also filed numerous patents about various wearable displays (headset).
- Similar to D3100 in shape, just a bit larger.
[NR] rating: 40% just because I want to hear those specs from few more places.