Nikon filed a patent application in Japan for a AF-S 100-400mm f/4-5.6G VR ED lens. Here is the lens design:
Rumors about this lens have been floating for a while. At one point it was expected that this lens will be the replacement of the current Nikkor 80-400mm, but later Nikon filed two different designs for new 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens (see here and here).
An updated version of 80-400mm or a new 100-400mm are high on my list of expected lenses for 2011.
Details after the break:
- Patent Publication: 2010-276744
- Published on December 9th, 2010
- Filed on May 27th, 2009
- Focal distance: 102.00-392.00mm
- Fno (aperture): 4.12-5.77
- Angle of view: 23.68-6.15
- Image circle: 43.2mm
- lens length: 255.00mm
- Minimum focusing distance: 1.8m
- One aspherical element
- Number of lens groups: 5
- Internal focusing