Every once in a while, I have to remind everyone that this is a rumor site. Everything written here should be considered as fiction and you should not make any decision based on the information provided on this blog (selling/buying equipment, changing schedules to accommodated potential new product, etc.). I am trying my best to give a numerical ratings for most of the information I post, but this is not really an exact science - in other words: I can be wrong. If you are not sure what and when to buy, consider renting until the sky clears (where there’s smoke there’s fire). Don't stay without a camera!
Now back to the recap - this is what I think I know so far:
Potential announcement of new Nikon products between August 17-19, 2010. There could be another press event before or after that date - Nikon has too many products to announce and I doubt they can do it all in one day. This is a list of what I think will be announced in the next two months prior to Photokina:
- Nikon D3100 - the big question mark here is the sensor MP count. I believe it will be 10MP, but many readers think it should be more.
- Nikon D90 replacement - the question mark here is the high ISO performance. I do not have an exact number, but the way it was described to me "same noise performance like the D700" could have different interpretations.
- Lenses - the Joker here is the 18-200mm FX lens. This could be a 28-300mm FX lens and the f stop could be 4.5-5.6 instead of 3.5 -5.6.
- Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4G N
- Nikkor 24-120 f/4 ED VR N
- Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 ED VR (or 28-300mm)
- Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR DX
- Nikon mirrorless prototype and lenses for Photokina.
What I don't know:
- A high end Coolpix camera is in the works - not sure if it will see the light of day before Photokina.
- Nikon D700 replacement - nobody has a clue about this one. Many speculations, nothing worth writing.
- Also, no word on any Capture NX, teleconverters or flash updates.