A little bit of everything. First some rumors that I did not post before since I do not have any confirmations from other sources:
- Rumor: new Nikon TC 1,7 teleconverter should be released at the end of January. The design should be similar to the new Nikon TC-20E III AF-S 2x teleconverter. I have no previous history from this source and cannot confirm the validity of this rumor. UPDATE: this could be a typo, but the Nikon TC-17E III teleconverter is already listed on this lens compatibility table.
- I am expecting some details about a Nikon press conference. This time I will not be mentioning countries.
- Another hint for the rumored AF-S 85 f/1.4 lens: famous German sports shooter Michael Weber is selling his AF-D 85/1.4 lens on the nikonpoint.de forum, maybe he knows something we don't (I know this is a stretch, but we talking about rumors here).
And some other news:
- DtownTV is back with a new address: kelbytv.com and... it's different.
- Now back to the 70-200 VRII "issue" - although not yet official, it seems that there is no problem with this lens according to multiple reports from Nikon customer service centers from around the world. Here is another explanation:
"The strange looking edge is glue. In the old version of the 70-200 there was a kind of plastic ring covering the glue. What you see now are the tiny bubbles inside the glue which are enlarged through the lenses. The stuff that looks like dust all over the lens is actually at the edge of the lens. The lenses are grinded during production and what looks like dust are the reflections of the grinded edge."
I also received some reports that lenses were actually accepted for repair. The classification of the fix is "Moderate Repair: Major Parts Replaced":