Some more thoughts on the Nikon "BIG" ad from Japan:
- I do agree that Otoji, BIG and MX do not fit all together. Maybe Otoji really got canceled, or maybe those are multiple projects going at the same time.
- The wording "BIG" doesn't make sense in Japanese, but remember the leaked Nikon D700 brochure - the English text did not make any sense either (see here and here).
- A reader sent me an interesting side by side comparison (thanks D.K.) - the D700 does look smaller:
- Emerging from the darkness camera ads are typical for Nikon (and Canon). Here are some examples (thanks D.S.)
- And since we are talking about Nikon ads, there is also this type of marketing (I did not resize this one on purpose):
Update: Sorry, the picture I had here was not "work safe" and I removed it. If you really, really want to see it and you are in a "safe" environment click here.
For now I am still not convinced that the BIG ad is fake. I hope for a hi-res image that will solve this rumor.