According to a Nikon rep: "the supposed D3x will NOT be released this year. He said a new camera will likely be announced at PMA next March 2009. Nikon is working on something truly revolutionary he said, a camera that will be as groundbreaking and trendsetting as the D3." (Source)
In connection with the above here is some of the chatter I have been getting lately on this topic. WARNING: RUMORS!
- Leica S2 is worryingly similar to 'MX' in concept, although S2 is geared towards ultimate image quality while MX is, like all pro Nikons, meant to be an utterly intuitive state of the art tool.
- MX announcement date: March 14th, 2009. I am not sure about this date, since PMA is March 3-5, 2009 but this is what I am getting through the grapevine.
- MX is a project designator, not necessarily end product name
- Nikon could announce MX at Photokina but wanted to wait till the whole line-up was on-shelf and ready to sell at the day of announcement (March 2009), unlike what Leica did and took Nikon by surprise. If true, this will be first the time for Nikon to have a product available at the day of the announcement (Apple style) - correct me if I am wrong.
- Nikon has not decided yet if they will cut costs and go for a 2/3 or 3/4 ratio sensor or pull out the stops and go for square with 2/3 and 4/5 crop modes. Leica's predicted price point may shift favor towards that latter now. Either version will fit in the current design. Cost and projected sales will decide.
- Reports on final sensor size vary with every source, but ALL are between 36x36 and 33x48, nothing bigger.
Stay tuned - possible picture of the new MX Nikon coming soon!